For a few weeks we have spotted the Harvey’s Dray Cart clippety-clopping and squeaking past our house in The Pells. My younger son is HORSE MAD and I cannot believe how lucky he is to see something like this going past our house!
I just snapped a picture of the Dray plodding down the High Street from the windows of Wild Folk Coworking, where I work very Tuesday.
A little look on the Harveys website, and it turns out that Tuesday is the day the Dray delivers beer all around Lewes.
So now you know to keep your eyes peeled every Tuesday for pure-breed shire horses Winston and Monty pulling the Dray Cart that was launched when the Queen visited the brewery last October.
Here’s some facts to tell your kids about them:
- The horses are cousins and also half-brothers (get your head around that!)
- They are Bays and stand 18.1 hands high
- Monty‘s mum was post-natally poorly, so he was largely bottle-fed and is therefore very social with humans
- They’re approximately a tonne each at the moment, but still growing
- They are often accompanied by Barny the rescue dog, who loves the horses and being outdoors
- Winston and Monty’s full ‘registered’ names are Mapleleaf Winstons Passion and Mapleleaf Montgomerys Mark. (Love this).
Click here for info on shows and fairs where these majestic boys and the Dray will be appearing this summer.
*** The best way to know when new posts come alive on Little Lewes is by subscribing to receive posts by email. Just hit ‘Subscribe’ in the side bar to do this.***